U Cunudu: a sound poem for the Dominion


Gregory Betts and I performed at the Grey Borders series in St Catharines along with Jaap Blonk and Adeena Karasick. The reading was recorded.

Later, in the confines of the National Rhyme Institute's Regional Rhyme Gland Audio Laboratory, I created this piece from the second part of Greg's and my first piece, a rendering of "O Canada" with all the vowels turned into u's. Hence "U Cunudu." Of course, we performed the resultant text as some kind of sound poetry mumbo goulash Four Horseman gumbo.

I removed my spine, ran the recording through a variety of computer processing applications, cut, pasted, basted, twisted, remixed, buried, fed to a duck, rendered all shook up, and created the piece. Many of the processes were based on those I used in the Icelandic piece (Skalla-Grimr) posted below.

Let me know what you think! You may win an orange peel, or a mention in the National Rhyme Institute's Car Floor Mat Compendium!

Comments